Saturday, March 29, 2014

If God Is Invisible, How Do We Know He Exists?

I bought a book, this week, to add to my repertoire of nightly reading materials for Seth. "If I Could Ask God Anything" poses questions, which might be typical of kids, and then answers them using newer translations of scripture.
Last night, we explored the idea of how you could know that God is real, even though He is invisible...Honestly, folks, that's a tough one...and on the really bad days, I struggle to know this myself.

As we were walking home from kindergarten today, Seth remarked about the wind and how it was trying to blow him away- how, like the new book we read last night, had said, wind is invisible but you could feel it and see it moving the branches of the trees...I asked him if he could feel God the same way as he feels the wind, to which he quipped "I just believe he's there, Mommy...that's all."

Seth often impulsively cleans up public spaces..

As we started down the hill, toward our house, I noticed that a neighbor's recycling can had blown over into the street, spilling it's contents throughout her yard, on the sidewalk, and in the grass between houses.  For a second, I entertained the notion of cleaning up the trash, but then I remembered how rude she had been to us in the fall, and so I kept walking....i didn't want to waste my time and energy on her mess...plus, my body was sore from an hour of squats and jumps and rowing and burpees....Besides, I hadn't eaten a morsel since the night before...And, really, I just wanted to get home.    I decided, somewhere in my heart, which is filthy with judgement and bitterness and hypocrisy, sometimes, that all of those excuses justified my inaction. Somehow, the "love thy neighbor" didn't always need to apply to me.

But Seth stopped.....my six year old, who is prone to tantrums and drives us all nuts, nearly every day, stood the neighbor's recycling can up and proceeded to deposit every single piece of trash that had scattered about...at least fifty cans, bottles, boxes...He didn't question whether our neighbor deserved this kindness...He didn't expect a thank you or a sticker or a prize....He didn't ponder that it wasn't his responsibility....He just did it...and, then, joyfully galloped on home....leaving me humbled and ashamed of my hardened heart and stubborn ways.

I can't see God, friends...I can't prove to you, with any tangible evidence, that God exists...but today I saw my kid give every ounce of energy that  he had, to helping somebody else...for no good reason...just because...Somebody who wasn't watching...Somebody who wasn't going to praise him or thank him... Seth stooped down, over and over again, TO PICK UP SOMEBODY ELSE'S GARBAGE, which was dirty, and messy, with sharp edges and remnants of food and odor.  ....Somebody who has done nothing to earn his thoughtfulness...No, I cant show you this God I speak about... but i can share with you my stories, and how i know, without question, that THIS...this kind of generosity with reckless abandon, from a little kid...THIS is God- and for now, it's all I need to see, to believe.

Matthew 18:3-4
..."Truly I say to you, unless you are converted and become like children, you will not enter the kingdom of heaven.  Whoever humbles themselves as this child, he is the greatest in the kingdom of heaven."

2 comments:

findingthequestions said...

love this and love that boy and love his mama sooo much.

findingthequestions said...

I love this, and that boy, and you sooo much.

About Me

My photo
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, United States
Forty-three year-old, mother and staunch advocate of four young children, passionate warrior of truth and self, finding the soul in each day, sharing my struggles and triumphs as I live them. Mostly I do this for me, so my thoughts don't race as much at night as they used to. But I also give this to those of you who need to know, in any or every way, that you are not alone.

Follow Me Through My Daisies

On My Nightstand Tonight

  • Sarah's Key
  • The Bible (NIV)

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed

Powered by Blogger.