Saturday, December 5, 2009

Liam- An Exciting Update



After two years of worrying and sobbing and yelling and screaming over the education or miseducation of my oldest son, we have received the exciting news that tests show that Liam has reached grade level with his reading. Two years ago, Liam had a teacher who treated him like a behavior problem because he wasn't getting his work done, and was unwilling to entertain any alternative explanations to his functioning other than a sheer rebellion against her authority. Only after a slew of meetings and intense conferences with the principal were we able to get him tested by a psychologist who revealed that he indeed had learning disabilities which were affecting his success in school. We never received any apology for the mistreatment our son received that year, but he did go on to have several wonderful educators, inside and outside of class, who have been very supportive of his achievements and have seen him for his true potential. I have been able to challenge the system so far this fall by having him re-introduced into the classroom for spelling, and beginning this Monday, for reading. This is such a time to rejoice for this boy who seemed stunted by the inner-workings of his very complex but powerful brain- his potential to see his own dreams come to fruition is better than ever and we are so thankful for those in his school day who have and are his greatest cheerleaders. To Mr. O'Toole, Ms. Hinderschodt, Mrs. Oldaker, and Mrs. Harding- we are so grateful.

0 comments:

About Me

My photo
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, United States
Forty-three year-old, mother and staunch advocate of four young children, passionate warrior of truth and self, finding the soul in each day, sharing my struggles and triumphs as I live them. Mostly I do this for me, so my thoughts don't race as much at night as they used to. But I also give this to those of you who need to know, in any or every way, that you are not alone.

Follow Me Through My Daisies

On My Nightstand Tonight

  • Sarah's Key
  • The Bible (NIV)

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed

Powered by Blogger.