Thursday, May 7, 2009

Gratitude

As I walked along the main drag of our town this morning, Sethy in the jogger, Ben peddaling like wild-fire on his bike, I felt an overwhelming sense of gratitude for my community- this place I have grown roots in for over three years now. It is a far cry from the urban life I lived in the D.C. area but it is what I would term the "perfect balance" of city and suburbia- a walking community where our family can access nearly everything on foot (a good grocery store would be the exception), with top-knotch public schools, playgrounds, and backyards. What it lacks in diversity (and boy, is it lacking), it makes up for in a close-knit population of citizens who care for and bother to get to know one another. Theresa manages the bank where I trapse in and out of, shares with me her favorite books, kid stories, and wants to have drinks. Bridgett talks to my kids when we breeze through the coffee shop for breakfast muffins and lemonade and complements my latest thrift store finds. Mrs. Dinardo holds Seth and marvels at how he's grown, while the rest of the Sombar brood pilfers treats from her small but sensational candy store.

My husband has been urging me to entertain his latest radical ideas of child rearing, which involve a rather non-traditional approach to living and mobilizing (I will divulge no more as I am not currently feeling this idea with any sort of gusto, much to his chagrin). Our relationship has always involved a strong leaning toward wanderlust and impulsive roadtrips, but I've changed a great deal since moving here, and have become very attached to the idea that I am in the place where I belong- the very thought of leaving all this behind makes me sick to my stomach and brings on a level of anxiety unmatched by anything to date.

Thankyou to my friends and neighbors here, in the SouthHills of Pittsburgh, who embrace me with your kindness, support, smiles, and "hea-theres" everyday. The big cities and metro regions can keep their transient populations and lack of eye-contact. I am home. And it feels amazing.

1 comments:

Rachel said...

OK, it took me a moment to catch the meat in the middle of that post. Your dear husband wants to take the show on the road? Tell him he's welcome to do it by all means, and you'll be happy to wait for him back at home. UGH.

Your feelings of anxiety, depression, disorganization, ADD and generally being overwhelmed will NOT be reduced when you are trapped in an RV with your children for months at a time, with literally no privacy at all.

Tell him no, and make it stick.

About Me

My photo
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, United States
Forty-three year-old, mother and staunch advocate of four young children, passionate warrior of truth and self, finding the soul in each day, sharing my struggles and triumphs as I live them. Mostly I do this for me, so my thoughts don't race as much at night as they used to. But I also give this to those of you who need to know, in any or every way, that you are not alone.

Follow Me Through My Daisies

On My Nightstand Tonight

  • Sarah's Key
  • The Bible (NIV)

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed

Powered by Blogger.