Wednesday, November 5, 2008

sweet breath of victory

Since hearing the news of Obama's triumph last night, I have contemplated over and over the feelings I wanted to share and the complexities of this victory for those of us on the democratic side of politics.

I made only one phone call at 11pm, to my friend Kim, a middle-class, white, stay-at-home mother of two young children who has worked tirelessly since I met her in the fall, to get support for this candidate she so believed in. All I could think of was how I wanted to get to her and congratulate her for a job well-done. Obama owes his win to volunteers, like my friend, who've done the uncomfortable (the cold calls, the canvassing), when they could have been living their lives more selfishly. I had tears in my eyes as I dialed her number, knowing her joy and relief- knowing her dreams had come to fruition, that her hundreds of hours of hard work had not been in vain, along with those of millions of Americans around the country, and Barack Obama himself.

I was a 12th hour supporter of this man- treading the path toward his campaign with great trepidation, and some bitterness, that Hillary hadn't been awarded the nomination I so felt she deserved. My thrill last night, and this morning, is that regular old people like Kim can see the fruits of their hard work and know that we really can make a difference, one-by-one. That black children in our projects and ghettos, as well as in our middle-class homes and, like Obama, even grander estates, can hold dreams of their own, alive, that they too can achieve, they too can conquer the long standing hatred and oppression that most of their ancestors, and maybe even some of them, have faced in their lifetimes. That white children will know that the President of the United States is a title given to the person who first and foremost wins the trust of his fellow Americans, not the person who fits the appropriate racial category. That girls and women, like myself, can dream that one day we too may see the rise of our gender to its appropriate status of equality among boys and men.

Today is a good day for all of us- its not only about regime change, which many democrats and some republicans, so desperately have wanted, but about life change- about hope come alive and about the pursuit of happiness for all who live on the soil of this great land.

This victory is for the little people- and its about time.

0 comments:

About Me

My photo
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, United States
Forty-three year-old, mother and staunch advocate of four young children, passionate warrior of truth and self, finding the soul in each day, sharing my struggles and triumphs as I live them. Mostly I do this for me, so my thoughts don't race as much at night as they used to. But I also give this to those of you who need to know, in any or every way, that you are not alone.

Follow Me Through My Daisies

On My Nightstand Tonight

  • Sarah's Key
  • The Bible (NIV)

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed

Powered by Blogger.

Blog Archive