Monday, November 10, 2008

The Geeeeeeeeeeee-tarrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Liam and I have been taking guitar lessons since September, at a music store down the street from us. We each have our own teacher but we go at the same time. He'd been wanting to play for a while and I've wanted to re-learn all the skills I had garnered in middle school, when I took lessons for about three years. I'm becoming a much more disciplined person, I think. Acquiring talent takes effort- unless you're born with some sort of gift (I was born with determination- that is about it). When I was younger, I was a lot like Liam- wanting to know how to do something well, without wanting to practice. I flew by the seat of my pants mostly. The lessons are expensive and we've threatened Liam to an inch of his life to get him to practice- mostly to no avail. I however, not wanting to embarass myself each week in front of my teacher, and not taking that $20 a half- hour for granted, have been working hard to hone my skills in the off hours.

I worked on chords yesterday for a long time. Its hard- I've cut my finger nails to the quick so I can grip the strings better, but now the tips are bruised and sore and playing is going to hurt tonight.

Music has always been such a huge part of my life- mostly in a passive way- listening to the radio, buying cds, going to concerts. I can't carry a tune in a bucket but I long to perform for the kids I read to- sometimes, like last month, I sing the words in the books- but I'm working on being able to really rock it out with them. My own children love to sing- and so do Tom and I. On Saturday night, after we all went to a birthday party together, we sang Christmas carols on the ride home- it was an incredible feeling- to leave behind all the worries about Lily, the pressure on Liam, the angst over Ben's behaviors-and just have fun for a change.

So here's to my rock star dreams and my strumming fingers.

0 comments:

About Me

My photo
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, United States
Forty-three year-old, mother and staunch advocate of four young children, passionate warrior of truth and self, finding the soul in each day, sharing my struggles and triumphs as I live them. Mostly I do this for me, so my thoughts don't race as much at night as they used to. But I also give this to those of you who need to know, in any or every way, that you are not alone.

Follow Me Through My Daisies

On My Nightstand Tonight

  • Sarah's Key
  • The Bible (NIV)

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed

Powered by Blogger.

Blog Archive