Thursday, October 9, 2008

Conviction

I've been convicted about a lot of environmental issues lately- all of which I am guilty of on some level or another, even if the guilt is simply about ignorance or lack of education itself.

I was talking to my friend Linda this morning- she owns an art gallery here in Pittsburgh and recycles wine and liquor bottles to create one-of-a-kind serving pieces. Over the course of the last couple of months, we've forged a mutual soap-box society of snorts, where we dialog about buying used, recycling, buying hand-made or made-in-America,and keeping things out of the landfills- your basic tree-hugging diatribe, though with a more personal bent. I casually mentioned Freecycle and was shocked to learn that she had not yet heard of this fabulous web-group. Basically, for all of you who remain in the dark on this one, you join a local freecycle internet group and then you post things that you either have to give or need to have. Tom and I have been blessed many times over the years with happy souls who've arrived ready and willing to haul away some piece of furniture we could no longer find space for or boxes of junk we couldn't stand looking at. Tomorrow, three separate families are due to pick up a variety of large items from our abode, and we shall, once more, be liberated from at least part of our clutter. Our goal, in the end, of course, is to halt the habit of gluttony and consume less on the whole. But, for now, we sit here in the purging stage, with the light from the end of the tunnel shimmering through the cracks.

If you would like to learn more, or join this remarkably "green" give-away society, click here.

0 comments:

About Me

My photo
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, United States
Forty-three year-old, mother and staunch advocate of four young children, passionate warrior of truth and self, finding the soul in each day, sharing my struggles and triumphs as I live them. Mostly I do this for me, so my thoughts don't race as much at night as they used to. But I also give this to those of you who need to know, in any or every way, that you are not alone.

Follow Me Through My Daisies

On My Nightstand Tonight

  • Sarah's Key
  • The Bible (NIV)

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed

Powered by Blogger.