Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Those Were The Days

I spent a good portion of my adolescence intertwined with a girl I'd met in sixth grade- an only-child, like myself, and a person with whom I very quickly discovered that I could not live without. She was my night and day-my soul's twin, somehow separated before our earthly lives were born. Many of my deepest joys- my life's belly laughs, were experienced by her side.

This morning I woke up longing to be with her- aching to cry into her arms- to feel the safety of days long gone. We live states apart and having a more tangible relationship right now is next to impossible- but the spiritual connection exists at a level that is so real and almost incomprehensible to my human brain.

I remember the hours we spent laying around in her aunt's basement, or on her front porch swing, or in her poster-filled bedroom, telling stories to one another about how magical our lives were going to be- when we were married to so and so...with our 2.5 kids and rockstar lifestyles. It never occured to me, then, of course, that I needed to insert some drama into those plots- a little heartache here, a little depressive illness there (chuckle).

On days like today I think we'd both rather be fourteen again, just for a minute. When we didn't know how hard things could be and we had nothing better to do than dream.

0 comments:

About Me

My photo
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, United States
Forty-three year-old, mother and staunch advocate of four young children, passionate warrior of truth and self, finding the soul in each day, sharing my struggles and triumphs as I live them. Mostly I do this for me, so my thoughts don't race as much at night as they used to. But I also give this to those of you who need to know, in any or every way, that you are not alone.

Follow Me Through My Daisies

On My Nightstand Tonight

  • Sarah's Key
  • The Bible (NIV)

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed

Powered by Blogger.

Blog Archive