Wednesday, March 5, 2008

Meals That Heal

When you are going through a tough time, the best gifts are often home cooked meals. I know this for certain, starting with five years ago when my husband was having some really intense cancer treatments and friends began appearing at my doorstep with dinners. Then in June, when Seth was born, a whole new crop of lovelies, here in the South Hills of Pittsburgh, emerged with an amazing outpouring of nourishment, for weeks and weeks. So, whenever I know someone is down in the dumps, usually another mom who is barely squeeking by, taking care of little ones and coping with the flu or some other horror story, I'm always inspired to give back a little of the karma I've received during my own rough patches. Bonnie Dougherty and I started our weekly dinner exchange after a little quid pro quo of meal making over the summer- we couldn't imagine, anymore, why we weren't just sharing dinners for no good reason- so now we do.

Just last week I made a quiche for a friend whose husband underwent major surgery- and today she called to say it was her family's favorite meal, so I thought I'd share the recipe with you, as it was easy to make and delightful to give on a cold winter day:

Judy's Comfort Quiche


1 frozen pie shell (hea, people, I'm no Barefoot Contessa with the homemade dough)
3 Eggs
1/2 tsp salt, pinch of pepper
1 C of Cream (you might as well do it right if you are gonna do it)
1 Clove of Garlic, minced
1 C of Shredded Cheddar Cheese
1/2 C Goat Cheese
1/2 C Feta Cheese
3/4 C of Fresh Mushrooms, thinly sliced
3 pieces of baked ham, cut into 1" squares (or tear to pieces with your fingers)

-Preheat oven to 350
-Mix eggs, cream, salt, pepper and garlic in bowl, add mushrooms and ham.
-coat bottom of pie shell with goat cheese (use more than 1/2 c if desired)
-pour egg mixture over goat cheese
-top with cheddar and feta
-bake for 45-60 minutes, testing with a knife until it comes out clean

2 comments:

Christianne said...

mmmmm! this sounds SO GOOD!!

thanks for sharing. i'm not barefoot contessa, either. in fact, i barely ever make it into my kitchen. but this recipe? i think it can handle it. plus, it just sounds delish! :)

Judy Sombar said...

hea- new friend!!! oh, yeah, woman- make the quiche. total comfort food. great for a cold rainy or snowy day (where are you? are you in Wash., or FL) If you make this and like it, I have another one that is just as good that has been as popular.

I'm too lazy to be the barefoot contessa- but i'm sure she's got a lot of hot men who do her dirty work, like piecrusts, behind the scenes!! though i was thinking, as i watched her, that perhaps she was a lesbian so maybe she has hot women doing her dirty work. LOL

judy

About Me

My photo
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, United States
Forty-three year-old, mother and staunch advocate of four young children, passionate warrior of truth and self, finding the soul in each day, sharing my struggles and triumphs as I live them. Mostly I do this for me, so my thoughts don't race as much at night as they used to. But I also give this to those of you who need to know, in any or every way, that you are not alone.

Follow Me Through My Daisies

On My Nightstand Tonight

  • Sarah's Key
  • The Bible (NIV)

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed

Powered by Blogger.

Blog Archive