Wednesday, February 27, 2008

In Honor of Eva

A couple of years ago, my big sistah Wendy
(I am an only-child but she's the closest thing to blood I've got)introduced me to the angelic and gripping sounds of Eva Cassidy, a musician from a town in Maryland very close to where I grew up. I was immediately captivated by her soulful voice and saddened to hear of her untimely death a decade ago, in her late-thirties. If you purchase her final CD, you can read her father's poignant description of the beauty that was her life and the sorrow which surrounds the fact that her success and acclaim have mostly been realized posthumously. She never felt that her talent was worthy of the attention she drew and therefore she didn't pursue her dreams as ambitiously as she might have otherwise.

I wonder how many of us withold success from our lives, and from those around us, by belittling the gifts we've been given as ordinary? Sometime back, an old friend copied this for me (I've heard it credited to various authors) and I thought I'd share it with you, this cold and snowy Wednesday in Pittsburgh:

Our worst fear is not that we are inadequate
Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure.
It is our light, not our darkness, that most frightens us.
We ask ourselves, who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented and fabulous?
Actually, who are we not to be?
You are a child of God; your playing small doesn't serve the world.
There is nothing enlightened about shrinking so that other people won't feel insecure around you.
We are born to make manifest the glory of God.
It is not just in some of us, it is in everyone; and as we let our own light shine, we unconsciously give other people permission to do the same.
As we are liberated from our own fear, our presence automatically liberates others.

0 comments:

About Me

My photo
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, United States
Forty-three year-old, mother and staunch advocate of four young children, passionate warrior of truth and self, finding the soul in each day, sharing my struggles and triumphs as I live them. Mostly I do this for me, so my thoughts don't race as much at night as they used to. But I also give this to those of you who need to know, in any or every way, that you are not alone.

Follow Me Through My Daisies

On My Nightstand Tonight

  • Sarah's Key
  • The Bible (NIV)

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed

Powered by Blogger.

Blog Archive