Monday, February 18, 2008

I shouldn't have read the paper today......

Tom and I have run the gamut on our dietary philosophies throughout our thirteen year relationship. For a couple of years while we were dating, and then after we got married, we practiced "relaxed" vegetarianism, consuming fish but no other meat products. After Liam was born, and I was forced to give up dairy, nuts, and soy in order to breastfeed him, due to his plethora of food allergies, I reintroduced poultry for lack of any better ideas, combined with my profound dislike of many vegetables. I have toyed with the idea of veganism on and off throughout the past year, for both ethical and health reasons, but have always come back to my love for the taste of meat and my less-than creative taste buds and culinary skills.

This morning, in an usual moment of getting to read The Washington Post, online (Tom has a rare holiday from work and thus, I have the luxury of reading something other than books meant for the under 10 crowd), I was horrified by this article, regarding the California beef recall. I cringed at the images of sick cows, who could not stand on their own, being given electric shock and sprays in order to make it to slaughter, and, subsequently, into the lunches of thousands of public school children, and the burgers of fast-food restaurants. All I could do was feel disgusted that we, as a society, including myself, have turned a blind eye to the plight of factory farm animals, who are clearly mistreated and suffer greatly to provide us with marginal quality "food." So people, my carnivorous ways are again being called into question and I must grapple today with how to further justify my support of the livestock industry by consuming meat. I don't think I can get past this one.

By the way, Thank God I'm not Oprah, or the Cattle Industry would be suing me for this post.

2 comments:

Natasha said...

Veganism ... as my husband will tell you, its the best way to go. And I benefit from the yummy cooking! We have tons of cookbooks for you to peruse, including the ultimate nutritional/philisophical primer, Becoming Vegan by Brenda Davis & Vesanto Melina, and Vegan Freak by Bob & Jenna Torres - a funny, biting look at being vegan in a non-vegan world.

http://www.brendadavisrd.com/
http://www.veganfreaks.org/
(sorry, i don't know how to insert links!)

kirsten said...

hi judy,
i'm grappling with this too. i always buy the locally grown/organic stuff [it's easy around here, living in a place that has a keenly high awareness around holistic & healthful living], but i find myself consuming less & less of the stuff [meat] anyway. finding out what goes on ... it does leave a foul taste in one's mouth, doesn't it?

About Me

My photo
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, United States
Forty-three year-old, mother and staunch advocate of four young children, passionate warrior of truth and self, finding the soul in each day, sharing my struggles and triumphs as I live them. Mostly I do this for me, so my thoughts don't race as much at night as they used to. But I also give this to those of you who need to know, in any or every way, that you are not alone.

Follow Me Through My Daisies

On My Nightstand Tonight

  • Sarah's Key
  • The Bible (NIV)

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed

Powered by Blogger.

Blog Archive