Monday, February 18, 2008

Blissful Morning

As I lay in bed with Benjamin, my five year-old his morning, on his cozy flannel snowman sheets, dreaming peacefully of God-knows-what (something nice, which I have since forgotten), Tom hands me Seth, who could wait no longer for his sunrise feeding. So there we were, snuggled in the twin bed, barely able to breathe for fear we'd all plummet to the floor, Seth having "mum" while stroking Benjamin's hair with his free arm, Benjamin softly repeating to his baby brother "I love you Sethy- I love you so much Sethy." All evidence of the normal day-to-day chaos hidden beneath the serenity of these moments. And I felt, with every inhale and exhale, what Myla and Jon Kabat-Zin speak of, in their book Everyday Blessings- the significance of mindful parenting- taking each minute as it comes, soaking it up, giving the whole of yourself with no multi-tasking or distractions. And I felt the gift of life, of parenthood surround me, and without uttering a word, I praised God for the beauty that enveloped me- and for the fact that I am me- not the skinny girl down the street, or the wealthy girl around the corner, or the mom who's got it all together across the way. This is my life and I'll keep it.

1 comments:

jen said...

Oh what a beautiful moment. I am so glad you blogged about it. You and your kids will treasure that when they are grown.

jen :)

About Me

My photo
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, United States
Forty-three year-old, mother and staunch advocate of four young children, passionate warrior of truth and self, finding the soul in each day, sharing my struggles and triumphs as I live them. Mostly I do this for me, so my thoughts don't race as much at night as they used to. But I also give this to those of you who need to know, in any or every way, that you are not alone.

Follow Me Through My Daisies

On My Nightstand Tonight

  • Sarah's Key
  • The Bible (NIV)

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed

Powered by Blogger.

Blog Archive