Sunday, January 27, 2008

INFAMOUS SOMBAR PUMPKIN MUFFINS


I have been baking these pumpkin muffins for about a decade now and it always gets rave reviews from adults and kids alike. Great for cold winter mornings or an evening snack.

Preheat oven to 350

1 LARGE can of pumpkin (not the puny average soup-can size!)
1 c of oil (I've also used part applesauce for a healthier alternative)
2/3 c of water
4 large eggs (if you use extra-large, drop it to 3 or your bread will be mushy)
splash of vanilla

4 c of flour
3 c of sugar
2 tsp. of baking soda
1 tsp. of baking powder
2 tsp of cinnamon
1 tsp. of nutmeg
1 tsp. of salt
1/2 tsp of allspice
1/2 tsp of cloves
1/4 tsp of ginger

Mix wet ingredients and dry ingredients separately then combine. Do not over mix. Pour into greased loaf pans or muffin pans. For muffins, your baking time will be around 25-30 mins. Watch carefully- the muffins will burn easily if left in too long. For loaves, about 45 mins. to 1 hr.

ENJOY!!!

I like to get all my ingredients organized ahead of time- and put each away after adding them to the bowl. Today we are making TWO batches, so everything is doubled.

Ben ALWAYS has to be included in the baking experience. Sometimes, like today, I'm not really in the mood for this but I cave because I know it makes him feel great. He tasted the pumpkin out of the can and decided its better with sugar!

I have to put my OCD tendencies at ease when my kids crack the eggs- I'm always paranoid about having shells in the batter. Today we only had a big chunk fall in, so it was easy to retrieve. The little shards are a real pain.


Doubling the recipe made the job of stirring quite a task. We barely had room in our big yellow tupperware bowl, a treasure found at a thrift shop some years back. It really worked my biceps to get it all mixed together, which can't be a bad thing, right?

0 comments:

About Me

My photo
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, United States
Forty-three year-old, mother and staunch advocate of four young children, passionate warrior of truth and self, finding the soul in each day, sharing my struggles and triumphs as I live them. Mostly I do this for me, so my thoughts don't race as much at night as they used to. But I also give this to those of you who need to know, in any or every way, that you are not alone.

Follow Me Through My Daisies

On My Nightstand Tonight

  • Sarah's Key
  • The Bible (NIV)

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed

Powered by Blogger.

Blog Archive