Thursday, October 18, 2007

Always Learning


I love books. If I was stranded on an island, or some other remote place, and all I had, other than the people I love, were books, along with food/water to nourish me, I would be content ( of course, I'm not stranded anywhere, and I have much more than books and the people I love, and I struggle daily with discontent- but I guess that is for another day). One of my fabulous finds at the library sale, going on here in our town, was The Remarkable Benjamin Franklin by Cheryl Harness. I picked it up for the kids, as they love to learn about him (inspired greatly by the movie National Treasure). Well, as I began reading it to Benjamin, I was really enamored by the quotes from him that the author listed on each page. My favorite is this one: "If you would not be forgotten, As soon as you are dead and rotten, Either write things worthy reading, Or do things worth the writing." Some others are: "Hide not your talents, they for use were made. What's a sun-dial in the shade!", "The noblest question in the World is What Good may I do in it?", "Who is strong? He that can conquer his bad Habits.", "God helps them that help themselves.", "Human felicity is produced not so much by great peices of good fortune that seldom happen, as by little advantages that occur every day."
Benjamin Franklin was an incredible human being, perhaps greater than all others, and I am thankful to my children for giving me the greatest excuse in the world to learn about people such as him. I am always learning and that, alone, makes life worth every minute.

0 comments:

About Me

My photo
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, United States
Forty-three year-old, mother and staunch advocate of four young children, passionate warrior of truth and self, finding the soul in each day, sharing my struggles and triumphs as I live them. Mostly I do this for me, so my thoughts don't race as much at night as they used to. But I also give this to those of you who need to know, in any or every way, that you are not alone.

Follow Me Through My Daisies

On My Nightstand Tonight

  • Sarah's Key
  • The Bible (NIV)

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed

Powered by Blogger.